Review: Love's Faithful Pomise

8:53 AM



Love's Faithful Promise
by Susan Anne Mason

Back Cover...

When her mother suffers a stroke, medical student Deirdre O'Leary makes the difficult choice to put her career on hold to care for her. Dr. Matthew Clayborne is renowned for his amazing results with patients, but when Deirdre approaches him about helping her mother, she finds him challenging and surly. Deirdre has had enough of complicated men in her life. After her fiancé left her, she vowed never to give a man that kind of power again.

Widower Dr. Matthew Clayborne is devoted to two things: his work with wounded soldiers and his four-year-old daughter, Phoebe. He won't abandon either of these priorities to care for one older woman. However, when Phoebe suffers a health scare, they're offered respite at the Irish Meadows farm, where his daughter's weakened lungs can recover--but only if he cares for Mrs. O'Leary.

Matthew intends to hate Irish Meadows, yet he immediately feels at home, and soon both Mrs. O'Leary and Phoebe are showing improvement. But since he has no intention of leaving his life up north forever, and Deirdre has sworn off marriage in favor of her career, how will they deal with the undeniable attraction between them?


What I Loved...

While many other writers water their writing down by stretching out storylines, author Susan Anne Mason loves to pack in as much story as she can get into a single novel. I love that we get both a main and minor storyline that wrap up by novels end. So this series ended up with seven loves stories in a three novel series. LOVE it! (Each novel with two storylines and a very minor storyline of the parents woven throughout the entire series)

The minor storyline of Connor and Jo in this novel ended up being my favorite of all. I really would have loved had this been a main plot.

What I Liked...

As much as I loved Connor and Jo's story, I really enjoyed the main story with Deirdre and Matthew. It did take a a bit longer than I like to get warmed up but once it did, I was all in and ended up staying up past bedtime to finish it.

POSSIBLE SPOILER....
I was so pleasantly surprised that Mason didn't take the road most traveled in resolving Deirdre's dilemma regarding her future. I am so used to characters gettung it all at the end. It is nice reading a more realistic ending that is still plenty happy!
END SPOILER...

I always like to see what previous characters are up to and Mason gives us plenty of that with the O'Leary Family. It always makes you feel like part of the family.

Other...

This is my favorite covers of the series. I pictured Deirdre this way.

This is a standalone novel. In fact, I read A Worthy Heart (Book 2) just six months ago and did forget a little of who was who before it all rushed back, but even before then, I didn't have trouble keeping up. However, I always suggest reading the others in the series to get more enjoyment out of it.

I am sad to see the end of the series, but I look forward to Mason's new work.


Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for my review.


ADD YOUR MY THOUGHTS THURSDAY LINK HERE


You Might Also Like

0 comments